Sun 'N Fun

Bill and I took a flying/camping mini vacation and went to Lakeland Florida. Every Spring there is a major Fly-In there and thousands of airplanes fly in and many are on display. There are lots of booths to explore the latest in aviation stuff, and airshows every day. This picture is Matt Chapman (on top, upside down) and Mike Mancuso flying right underneath. One of many wonderful examples of aerobatic flight.
It was extremely hot and sunny and I found it difficult to concentrate on aircraft after a while, my brain was a bit fried. I spent a bit of every day at the 99s building (indoor plumbing being a big attraction) and met some old acquaintances and some new.
Amy Laboda was there and that was kinda neat (she writes for the EAA magazine). I saw Marcia Gittleman from CNY and FLA, and Marie, our SE Section Governor. I seemed to miss Denise at every turn the one day she was there, but I saw Marcia Buckingham and Robin Lamar of AWAM at the seminars. Didn't spend much time there, but made contact (Robin got me up in the front to give a testimonial about school vs experience).
Saturday was a abit cooler, and I met Bruce Bohannon
while his plane was being photographed with Autolite Annie!
I wish I'd thought to get a shot of him and me together. Oh well, take my word for it.
We stopped at the Museum to see Sarah Rickman at the Authors Booths, but she wasn't there. Instead, we got to listen to Dick Rutan talk about the Voyager, and that was fascinating.
There was a F-22A Raptor that flew in the airshows along with a F-15 and a P-51. The P-51 hustled along as the Fs flew in slow flight. Or as slow as two insanely fast planes can. That was awesome. And very noisy!
Gary Ward was only there the first day we got there (having flown for the days prior to our arrival) and it was just luck that made me walk up to the runway in time to catch his whole performance. He leaves me breathless with the tumbles he does in the air. He was flying a different aircraft than he usually has, so at first I didn't realise it would be him, but I enjoyed it immensely.
There was a front coming through Saturday and some time early Sunday morning the rain started and lightning/thunder occured, but our tent held up very well and by the time we were striking camp it had stopped raining and we were able to dry off most everything and take off. Bill's Instrument rating came in handy as there was a cloud layer all the way to our fuel stop and we were in a holding pattern waiting our turn to land. Lots of traffic, as the airport advertised really cheap fuel for Sun 'N Fun planes. By the time we were ready to take off it was VFR all the way home (I flew that leg) and early the next morning Bill took off for Mexico.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home