Aircraft Anonymous

Musings of a Library Assistant who recently went back to college to study Aircraft Maintenance and got her Airframe & Powerplant Certification.

My Photo
Name:

Being a private pilot with a plane (C172) I have been certified as an aircraft mechanic so I can work on the plane and know what I am doing and have FAA approval.

Friday, April 29, 2005

Tugging along

Yesterday evening Bill & I went over to the hanger to practice using the new tug. It is easy to use if you only want to go forward or backwards in a basic straight line. I don't know about directing it in a turn. We'll have to see, but first off:

it is IMPOSSIBLE to get it hooked up to the plane. Well, of course Bill hasn't much difficulty, but I was in tears because it was actually hurting me to try to get it in place and hook up. I had to jiggle it and tilt it and try to force it and it defeats the whole purpose in having it if it is a hassle. I feel like I made a poor choice in opting for the least expensive tug.

Disappointment is rife.

In Other Areas: I stopped at AvServe on the way home from school to ask Eric if he had the N-number and any other info on the Champ. It is a 7DC model (which is just an AC with a C85 engine). The engine is basically a non-entity (he calls it a core, but I suspect it is worthless). I forgot to check on the type of prop. Eric is out of town for the weekend, but he managed to russle up the logs and phoned with the N-number. So I looked it up and found out who owns it. Apparently he had gotten everything to restore the plane, even the paint. Blue and White. The fusalage is cleaned and painted and the stringers and formers are on. The wings have already been covered as well. I would have like to been able to see just what condition the wings are in. I will decide later if I want to strip them and check it all out.

I am really looking forward to getting out there to see it and hopefully own it.

My very own Champ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home