Aircraft Anonymous

Musings of a Library Assistant who recently went back to college to study Aircraft Maintenance and got her Airframe & Powerplant Certification.

My Photo
Name:

Being a private pilot with a plane (C172) I have been certified as an aircraft mechanic so I can work on the plane and know what I am doing and have FAA approval.

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Sardine Week

So this week is like totally FULL. Quizes on Tuesday, which felt like Monday. After the cramming and finally taking, there was this sudden void and like any low pressure area, it immediately was filled with STUFF TO DO. Since the plane was down, I needed to fix it, so when I stopped at the shop yesterday to get started, the alternator hadn't been delivered yet. Wouldn't you know it showed up just as I was leaving and too late to do anything with it. I begged Ted to put my plane into the hanger so it would be all ready to work on when I got there after school today. Of course, while yesterday was so incredibly cold (for SC dude), today it was bitter outside. And when I got to A&B after school, the plane was still on the ramp. They didn't want to open the doors and let out any of the hard earned heat. Another plane was supposed to show up and they were waiting in order to only open up the hanger the one time. Well, it never showed and it was 3 pm and both Ted and Joel were planning on leaving at 5, no later. I explained that it was pretty much now or never and we pulled the plane in.

It really wasn't such an ordeal to R&R the alternator. The cowling was the time consumer. With the Power Exhaust, one has to remove the whole tail pipe to get the bottom cowl off, and it just takes time, especially since we put a fairing on (lots of screws). Joel (bless his heart) helped out and we were done by 4:30 or so. Pulled it out and when I ran it it was charging, so the new alternator works! Still had to do the logs, and fuel up. It was 5:30 or so before I got off the ground. And getting dark. Lots of ground lights. Thank you for GPS, it put me in the right direction to find Spartanburg! Once I got close, I put on the runway lights and it was smooth landing. And an angel came over and helped me put the plane into the hanger, so THAT was taken care of. All before 7 PM when K got off work. She buzzed right over and we stopped off to feed the dog and then over to GMU to get me to my car.

The whole project went so smoothly that I can hardly believe it. Proves that getting riled up ahead of time just is not worth it. (I was getting antsy about getting it all done and making it home today).

Now the next few days schedule:

Thursday night--go to Charlotte for the AOPA Town Meeting with Phil Boyer

Friday morning, the Advisory Committee meeting at Michelin, and that evening "Twelfth Night" at the Peace Center.

Saturday all day is the Maintenance Seminar, and that evening the War Birds dinner (with Bill, my sweet)

Sunday I hope to sleep in.

Right now, a hot shower and to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home