Aircraft Anonymous

Musings of a Library Assistant who recently went back to college to study Aircraft Maintenance and got her Airframe & Powerplant Certification.

My Photo
Name:

Being a private pilot with a plane (C172) I have been certified as an aircraft mechanic so I can work on the plane and know what I am doing and have FAA approval.

Thursday, June 23, 2005

FLYING

I flew to school today. It was a little hazy, but I could see all the airports in Greenville just fine. I was booking, ground speed was 124 knots! Got there in plenty of time. Thomas O was at the FBO waiting for me(!) and put Augie (the plane) in the hanger there, which was really great. We got to school just before 8 AM. Pretty good. Of course, it seems there was time for the news that I'd be teaching Aviation Science to get around and Steve got Wayne to stage a gag on me. Wayne congratulated Steve on getting the teaching job. Since I was still a bit spacey from flying etc, I didn't catch on right away and actually had a second when I was confused. But since Washburn said right out that no way in hell would he ever hire Steve, I figured he was just being his usually jerk of a self. But I think he is dropping the general and airframe classes since he doesn't need them and HOPEFULLY he will drop ACM 102. Whatever...

When class was over I asked Mr. Negeldinger if he was ready to go flying. He tried to get out of it by saying he had to get the grades from the last class all in order. I said we'd just go in a brief circle around the airport, just take a few minutes. He checked with somebody and then came back and said he'd meet me over at the Jet Center.

Thomas drove me back over since he had to go to work and I did the preflight before Phil (Negeldinger)arrived. We pulled the plane out and got in. I went over stuff with him and we taxied to the runway. I did a runup and a mag drop, (which he taught in the last class, but of course I always do), and got cleared for take off.

The lift off was smooth but there were a few thermals and my first turn to cross wind and downwind were not the best. He got all tense, doesn't like the bumpies. Downwind was smoother and I got all stabilized before turning base. It was a real smooth turn and I was all lined up for a beautiful and perfect final and landing. Just before we got to the runway I heard the stall buzzer and so I lowered the nose a bit and added a little power, but I must have muttered "don't like that sound" out loud. (Not a good thing with a nervous passenger!!!)

We taxied back up to the Jet Center and shut down.

He actually was smiling and really liked the ride, he said it was much better than he expected. Mainly because he gets so jittery. Not because of me. I think I showed that I am a good pilot, and know what I'm doing. Made me feel good too. He did mention that my landing comment (see above) gave him pause, but I said it really was nothing, just me. (Phew)

I got a chalk board for the hanger so we can post any squawks about the plane that we need to address. Feels so official. Need to find some softer chalk, though.

I think I will have to prepare to take my O & P in July, before school is over, like I did for my Airframe. Means I'll have to crack down and really study hard to review all the stuff. I am a bit nervous that I will be able to do it. Feels different than last time. But, I think it will be good to just get it over and move on. Plus, then I'll be able to focus on teaching. Oh, and taking that Math class (we won't talk about it now...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home