Aircraft Anonymous

Musings of a Library Assistant who recently went back to college to study Aircraft Maintenance and got her Airframe & Powerplant Certification.

My Photo
Name:

Being a private pilot with a plane (C172) I have been certified as an aircraft mechanic so I can work on the plane and know what I am doing and have FAA approval.

Sunday, September 05, 2004

South Carolina Breakfast Club & PIC Problems

This morning we got up and flew to Camden for the SCBC. Every two weeks on Sunday morning pilots from the state (and some from NC and GA as well) fly to a different airport for a southern style breakfast. Usually eggs, grits, biscuits, sausage and bacon. It varies at some airports. Locals get together to do the cooking, unless it is one of the places or times that we all shuttle in locals vans to go to a restaurant that caters for us. This is often in the winter when it gets too cold to eat in a hanger. Today's breakfast was delicious. I love to fly somewhere to eat food someone else has prepared. Sometimes the airport is too far away to get there in reasonable time to get any food so we sleep in. The next one is like that. However, SPA is having a cookout on Saturday, so while we won't fly there, we will be at our plane :-) >>One of the things about flying with Bill is he just HAS to tell me what to do. Sometimes he is just saying how HE does things, but it feels like he is ordering me to do it his way. I keep saying that I don't always do it HIS way, and unless it is DANGEROUS, leave it alone. Like today after landing at Union for a fuel stop, a beautiful landing I might add, he says "just let it roll out without using the brakes", as if anything else might be a problem. Okay, it helps keep the brakes from wearing out, but he just HAS to give me little instructions all the time and it is making me mad. I am the Pilot-In-Command, and I keep telling him that unless I am doing something DANGEROUS, he should just keep quiet. It is a guy thing. He says I should just ignore him, which is what he does to all my gasps and screams (well, he likes to land high and fast and it is unnerving to have the runway come up in your face like that). But I think he should just try not to be the boss of me. Or even just the Boss at all. I am the one that learned to fly first. I am the one getting the A&P. If I NEED any advice or assistance I ask for it. Well, let's just say I am a bit steamed. It is just too easy to boss me and I still have to work hard to remember that it's okay to do things my way. I just don't always know what is MY way or if I am just doing what I've been told. I am too old for this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home